Creating more than we capture
- Ben Rennie
- On July 10, 2009
Its tiring reading the paper and hearing about the world in crises. Lets do something to change the mood. I was asked on Monday how I manage to squeeze so much into such little time. It came as a surprise to me as I feel the need to continue to do more and I constantly wonder where the time has gone. It was a loose open ended question and general chat however it has got me thinking. Do we do enough?
I read an article today stating only 30% of people graduating from Uni with a marketing degree are being placed in a marketing role and only a few more have actually been placed in a career of choice. Following this I had a conversation with a colleague who was bored with his job and looking for a change. Its not an easy market for brand managers or marketers and we need to do a lot more today than brand ourselves on-line through social media or “send in a resume” to be successful. There are a lot of good people today getting a lot less than they deserve.
A marketing god and friend of mine decided to set some objectives for the rest of 09 and to rehash a quote I often rehash, if you create more value than you capture, it will come flooding back to you ten fold. Here is a few idea’s to create more than you capture:
1. Turn off the TV and give that time to a cause for a non-profit
2. Offer your time to coach a community based sporting team or organization
3. Create an online community… devote it to something you love and you are passionate about
4. Recycle and contribute to the environment, reduce your footprint
5. Learn a foreign language or learn a new instrument
6. Surf or learn to
7. Give $5000 to charity… a charity that will save a life
8. Compete in a triathlon or run a marathon
9. Spend a day with yourself in a place you have never been before… when you get there. Say hi to a complete stranger.
10. Ring someone you know instead of texting or email that you haven’t spoken too for some time.
Here is a Snapshot of 3 of my goals.
1. Raise $5000 for Charity Water (www.charitywater.org) to build a well which will provide 250 people with clean drinking water for more than 20 years. This is through US based organisation and I will post details on how to help with this cause shortly.
2. Complete the Terra Australis (with Adam Webb of Luxottica fame) in March 2010, a 550KM mountain bike race over 7 days in the Victorian Alpine
3. Ring Rebecca from Melbourne based charity for Street Kids called Streat and offer them my time
I will let you know what happens and if it is in fact, life altering or maybe, as I presume, just living life.
If you do one thing today, make sure its watching this video. There is a message in this video and it relates to practice, dedication and execution.
Latest posts by Ben Rennie (see all)
- Announcing The Rise & Rise of Made Better in China - April 11, 2013
- The Myth & Misconceptions of Work Life Balance - February 19, 2013
- If you are Thinking Mobile, Then you are Thinking Too Small! - January 23, 2013